Welcome Guest Login or Signup Search
ReptiShop™ | BUSINESS DIRECTORY | GIFTS | RgGEAR | BOOKMARK
  Best Prices on Reptile Supplies!

FORUM
how often should i handle my ball python??
Total Views: 3385 - Total Replies: 8
Dec 03 2008, 6:08 pm - By purrfect_kitty666

Private Message

i just got a ball python about a week ago. she was never really handled by her previous owners. i know not to handle them before and after feeding, and i only handle her either very early in the morning (like 3 or 4) or at night (like 8 or 10). im just trying to get her used to me, and get her used to being handled by people. when i handle her, i sit down and put her on my lap. at first, she just sat there, but every day, i take her out and let her look around. now, she slithers around, licking everything, (mostly me and my bed) i just want to make sure that shes not gonna get stressed out from being handled too much. i dont want to stress her, i just wanna love her :)
loving the wild things
Dec 03 2008, 6:24 pm - Replied by: wftright

Private Message

Based on your description, she seems comfortable with you. I'd say that you are doing fine, but plenty of people have plenty of different opinions. If she's eating well and shedding well, she's probably pretty happy. If she stops eating or has a succession of bad sheds, then you might consider that she's feeling some stress. At this time of year, she might stop eating anyway, so even that sign isn't absolute. Each snake will have a different personality. One of mine prefers to wrap around an elbow or wrist and just sit there. Another one likes to explore constantly. If she's just exploring and not really trying to escape, she's probably happy. If she wraps around some part of your body and just stays that way, she's probably happy. If she keeps wrapping herself into a ball, she might be feeling stressed.

Bill

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster
Dec 03 2008, 8:35 pm - Replied by: singingtothewheat

Private Message

Well,  On the days that I work, I generally handle my ball once.  On my days off it's a whole other story.   I probably get him out 2-3 times.  Sometimes he hangs with me for a hour.  Like's been said,  snakes are diffrent.  My Boo seems to really enjoy hanging out with me and will frequently put his little head right on the tip of my nose and just sorta hang out.  It cracks me totally up.

singingtothesnakes

Jan 31 2009, 10:31 pm - Replied by: hdpeewee

Private Message

I have 2 myself. I feed at the begainning of the week and after 3 days I handle

one or the other at the end of the week for an hour or so. {or untill they get too

rambunkous} But if thier in thier hidding place i'll just wait till they come out.

Little Scotty & his Ball And Boa Show
Feb 01 2009, 10:51 am - Replied by: axeslinger39

Private Message

I have 3 Ball pyhtons with 3 different personalities..My male pastel is very head shy and does not have lots of activity .He is still getting used to me after having him for a month.My male het albino is very active and likes to be held when ever i get him out.My female pastel is spoiled rotten and always comes to me when I open up the enclosure.She is never head shy and  is really my fav out of the 3.I've had her the longest since Sept.If you have a new ball,hold him often and just move VERY slow.I think the more they know you the better tame they become..Axe

My Tegus is a hyper teenager!!!!!!

Feb 01 2009, 11:35 am - Replied by: RiversideReptiles

Private Message

I handle my balls frequently
Riverside Reptiles
Feb 08 2009, 9:38 pm - Replied by: Miyabi

Private Message

RiversideReptiles wrote:
I handle my balls frequently

I see what you did there...
~nya
Feb 15 2009, 7:09 am - Replied by: kalismom3

Private Message

i handle both my normal female kali and my male tech tech 4 to 5 times a day everyday without problems
Feb 16 2009, 1:10 am - Replied by: singingtothewheat

Private Message

I think to some degree ( yes ball have personalities and they are all diffrent )  the more you hold your snake the more your snake gets used to being held.

singingtothesnakes

Best Prices on Reptile Supplies!

© 2007 - 2014 Reptilegeeks.com