Welcome Guest Login or Signup Search
ReptiShop™ | BUSINESS DIRECTORY | GIFTS | RgGEAR | BOOKMARK
  Best Prices on Reptile Supplies!

FORUM
Thinking of breeding dubia roaches or madagascar hissing cockroaches,,.
Total Views: 1129 - Total Replies: 3
Jun 21 2009, 2:15 pm - By Nertflo

Private Message

Well i hate buying crickets because they jump alot and to tell you guys the truth, Im a bit scared of them lol. Well i was thinking if i should breed cockroaches from now on but the thing is, If i buy 200 roaches for 20 and i feed my gecko 12 a week and my savannah monitor 70 then im gonna be wasteing my money. do they breed fast? should i breed dubia or hissing cockroaches? or both? how would i go on about feeding my 2 lizards? My adult leopard gecko and my baby savannah monitor thanks.
Jason
Jun 22 2009, 9:37 am - Replied by: singingtothewheat

Private Message

ack, no way.  Cockroaches in my home.  Not going to happen.

singingtothesnakes

Jul 16 2009, 7:16 pm - Replied by: bkelley02

Private Message

I have both dubia and lateralis roaches, and I find the dubia very slow breeders.  Now the lateralis breed really fast but they move just as quick.  The dubia are much slower moving and will often freeze when you try to pick them up.
Jul 16 2009, 9:59 pm - Replied by: Crazy4Herps

Private Message

I've got dubias, LOVE them. If you're nervous around them, get dubias; they don't make noise, don't climb, don't jump, don't fly, don't die. :P Hissing roaches get much larger than dubias, and they can climb REALLY well, it's difficult to keep them contained.

Start out with 200 or so adult dubia (more if you're getting nymphs), get the temps of the tub up to around 85-90*, feed them, give them fresh fruits for water, and in two months you'll have a stable colony.  (Don't feed any off until the two months are over.)
Best Prices on Reptile Supplies!

© 2007 - 2014 Reptilegeeks.com