Welcome Guest Login or Signup Search
ReptiShop™ | BUSINESS DIRECTORY | GIFTS | RgGEAR | BOOKMARK
  Best Prices on Reptile Supplies!

FORUM
Live Plants for Snake Cages/ Tank
Total Views: 3494 - Total Replies: 10
Jul 18 2009, 11:10 pm - By Shenandoah

Private Message

So, I received this awesome corner tank from my sister and it is huge. I added a really pretty Fern (live) in it. But.... then I got to thinking today.......... is that okay to put in the tank

Two of my adult females have been in the tank for over a week with it and don't seem to be interested in it or that it is bothering them. Before placing it in there I saturated it the day before with non-toxic, bio-friendly bug killer.

The only concern I have is that it is a fern and ferns have spores any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Shea

If life throws lemons at ya, catch 'em and make lemonade...
Jul 18 2009, 11:21 pm - Replied by: kaleidoscales

Private Message

I think I have read somewhere about replacing all the soil  with coconut -eco earth..washing the roots off.in case there is anything toxic to the snakes in the soil too..Also even if you use nontoxic natural bug spray.. I would still rinse with water after and let air out for a day or so before putting in tank just to be sure -because even if something is non toxic .it may still be not good for snakes...  I think there is a list somewhere online of plants that are ok to use in tanks with reptiles and plants that are  be toxic.   There is a good website
www.vivariumforum.com/community/snakes that I browsed before and there is info on using live plants in tanks.. hope that helps some.
Follow your bliss !!!!!!
Jul 19 2009, 12:33 am - Replied by: Shenandoah

Private Message

Thank you so much.... I took it out after your post. I have the stuff you are talkin' about; but I am gonna check that site out first.

Thanks so much

Jul 19 2009, 10:07 am - Replied by: jayson_rafter

Private Message

i use(live) golden patho's in all of my reptile cages and have been doing it for years,you could try those. i take the plant completely out of the dirt and just plant it in 100% water. these plants dont need dirt and all that stuff to grow.hope this helps you.
pain is a part of life,so get over it!
Jul 19 2009, 1:53 pm - Replied by: kaleidoscales

Private Message

jayson_rafter wrote:
i use(live) golden patho's in all of my reptile cages and have been doing it for years,you could try those. i take the plant completely out of the dirt and just plant it in 100% water. these plants dont need dirt and all that stuff to grow.hope this helps you.

Yes I think that was one of the plants listed the pathos so I am curious do you have a pic -what kind of container do you use for the plant and water-so the snakes dont knock it over...????
Follow your bliss !!!!!!
Jul 19 2009, 2:17 pm - Replied by: jayson_rafter

Private Message

i just put it right back in the pot it came in(after its cleaned)then i lined the pot with a heavy-duty ziplock bag to hold the water and x-tra,x-tra rinsed hydro balls to keep the roots from falling out.then for the bottom of the pot i used double wide double sided tape to keep them from tipping it over.hope this helps all.
Jul 19 2009, 2:36 pm - Replied by: kaleidoscales

Private Message

jayson_rafter wrote:
i just put it right back in the pot it came in(after its cleaned)then i lined the pot with a heavy-duty ziplock bag to hold the water and x-tra,x-tra rinsed hydro balls to keep the roots from falling out.then for the bottom of the pot i used double wide double sided tape to keep them from tipping it over.hope this helps all.
Thanks for the ideas...do you tape it to the bottom of the viv then ---looks like a very nice viv you have set up!!! I bet the snakes love it...
Follow your bliss !!!!!!
Jul 19 2009, 3:27 pm - Replied by: jayson_rafter

Private Message

yes,i do tape it to the bottom of the viv.and just to add this, they sometimes break the vines crawling on it .but  even without water & broken they'll root right into the substrate all on there own(its kind of an amazing plant if you ask me).and the snakey's do love em' especially the green tree pythons.

Jul 19 2009, 4:56 pm - Replied by: jscrick

Private Message

No.  I would not recommend live plants in a snake cage.  The aesthetics will not last and you may risk complications to the cage environment.

It's all about function with snakes.  Go with artificial plants if at all.  Remember, most snakes would prefer very limited light and plants to thrive require much light.

jsc

50 years is not enough.
Jul 19 2009, 9:00 pm - Replied by: Shenandoah

Private Message

Thanks for the replies, I have opted to keep any live plants from inside the tank. I figure it would just be best to go with reptile approved plants (fake).

I really liked how you had your tank with that one plant, it was really really pretty and artsy looking.
Jul 20 2009, 8:51 am - Replied by: jayson_rafter

Private Message

No.  I would not recommend live plants in a snake cage.  The aesthetics will not last and you may risk complications to the cage environment.

It's all about function with snakes.  Go with artificial plants if at all.  Remember, most snakes would prefer very limited light and plants to thrive require much light.

jsc

just wanted to add this,i don't agree & i don't disagree with this.i think depending on what kind of herp is in that tank should be the decider.with cornsnakes at most they'll break a vine.i personally have never had a problem with the patho's and they do great in low light,however i have had problems with fake plants because of the metal wire thats in most of them,(only with the gtp's)there a bit rougher around the plants and the patho's also help my cages stay at a great  humidity level.

Best Prices on Reptile Supplies!

© 2007 - 2014 Reptilegeeks.com